CaseyLand: Mommy Style Monday: Me Time

Monday, April 24, 2017

Mommy Style Monday: Me Time

Happy Monday everyone! Today's Mommy Style Monday is all about how we make time for ourselves. As a mom it's really difficult sometimes to fit yourself in to your own schedule. I think it's also true if you aren't a mom too! Life gets crazy, and we forget about taking care of ourselves sometimes. It's always so important to make yourself a priority.

I've been studying the 7 Habits of Highly Effective People lately, and Stephen Covey uses the example of "The Goose and the Golden Egg". Basically he says that if we want to produce "golden eggs" we need to take care of the "goose" (ourselves). If we kill or neglect the goose, no golden eggs will be produced! This is true about geese, but the metaphor is resoundingly true for us. We have so much potential, and so much to give to the people around us, but it won't be possible to give it all if we aren't nurturing ourselves!

As I was studying the 7 Habits, I found myself becoming discouraged and feeling like it was a lot of work. When I got to #7, I realized the reason I felt that way was because I hadn't been taking good enough care of myself. I wasn't "sharpening the saw".

So, without further ado - this is how I get in some "me time" and sharpen my saw:



First, I signed up for The Alison Show's newsletter. She's got this awesome newsletter she sends out and at the beginning of the month it includes a calendar. She's doing a calendar each month this year and it's called her "Year of Awesome". Each month is focused on a different attribute, April is Resilience. I printed off the calendar and on each day I wrote down what I would do for myself that day in the categories: Physical, Spiritual, Social/Emotional, and Mental.

Each day I wrote "be active" for Physical. This may sound really vague, and it is. Haha! I just realized that lately I'm terrible at sitting down and doing a workout, and because of that I get down on myself and just don't do anything at all! So I'm using my FitBit each day and just making sure I'm active enough to get in all my steps. This has actually worked out great for me! I've met my goal almost every day.

For Spiritual, I simply wrote "S/P/P", which to me means, search, ponder and pray. I've committed to myself to read a chapter of scripture or listen to a conference talk or both each day, and then I'm trying to be much more intentional about actually pondering on what I read or listened to. I usually read/listen to scripture while I get ready for the day and listen to a talk during breakfast or nap time. I have noticed I'm very uplifted by this!

Social/Emotional can get a little vague too. I wrote something different down for each day, but if I spend time with actual humans that day, I might skip what I wrote down. If I find myself on my own a lot that day but still needing a social connection, I will do one of the following: write a handwritten card, send a thoughtful text, deliberately compliment someone, thank someone for something, invite someone to do something with me, or find a way to serve someone else. I have been so fulfilled by going out of my way to get more involved socially!

And finally, my mental goals. I realized that each night after Nathan goes to bed I had a lot of time to myself/with Alex, but both of us were just sitting on our phones or watching a show. Neither of these things is terrible, but I have so many other goals I want to work on, I decided to be more attentive to those and put the technology down. Twice a week I'm making time for reading a book - fiction/non-fiction, doesn't matter. On Tuesday's I get on a Google Hangout session with friends and talk about goals with blogging. I take one day a week to make sure I work on my online Photography class. One day a week is dedicated solely to Alex (date night, cuddling, watch a movie, play a game, etc). I think this counts as "me time" because it's always rejuvenating to reconnect with him! On Saturdays I "pamper" myself. Take as long as I want in the shower, shave, do a face mask, paint my nails, etc. And finally on Sunday I am journalling. I've been working on my Promptly Journal I got for Nathan, and it's been really fun to look back on my pregnancy with him/his birth/and how much he's grown.

So there you have it! I'm sorry that was so long, but that's how I've been fitting in "me time" lately, and it has made ALL THE DIFFERENCE. I feel so much more in control of my own life, and like I am capable of producing more than ever! My creative juices are flowing, and I find myself less overwhelmed with life.

I can't wait to read what the other ladies do to fit in "me time"!:
Kiana at Glitter&Donuts
Madeline at CaseyLand
Rachel at Tutus and Heels
Monica at It's All About


 photo CASEY-SIG_zpsvtleemti.png

No comments:

Post a Comment