CaseyLand: Learning Lately

Friday, December 2, 2016

Learning Lately

Happy Friday! So, back in my Point of the Blog post, I mentioned I would like to share some things I've been learning. This is all based off of how I've been feeling lately with lacking creativity, feeling like I'm stuck on my couch, and basically losing any sense of progression. I know a lot of moms feel the same way, based on the response to my recent posts, so I thought it might be fun to share ways I'm getting out of my rut! I'm still very much a work in progress, but as I've acknowledged my feelings, I've found it's becoming simpler to face my fears head on and attempt new things.

A few weeks ago I was talking with moms in my ward, and one of them mentioned she teaches Spanish, which I thought was so so cool. I have always wanted to learn Spanish! But, pretty sure learning a new language takes LOTS of time, and I have just never made it a priority. Alex speaks Spanish after serving his mission in Argentina, and I just feel like overall it's a useful language to know. So anyway, we were talking about how this cute mom should teach us all Spanish, and she said we should download the app DuoLingo! I had heard of it before, and thought it sounded cool, but for some reason this conversation was just the jump start I needed!

DuoLingo is a really fun app, because basically you can practice for just a few minutes a day and it really helps! As a former teacher, I am really impressed with whoever developed this app. It's so easy to learn from because they use pictures, reading, writing, and speaking to help you remember the words. I feel like my retention of the words I'm learning is really good because of the different ways the app has me practice them!

I basically only practice like 10 minutes a day, but I am having so much fun, and already I've learned so much. According to the app, I am now 4% fluent in Spanish, and if I wanted to, I could add that stat to my LinkedIn profile (if I had one) 😂

Also, the app is kind of social, so you can connect with friends and motivate each other and see each other's progress! They have tons of different languages besides Spanish if you want to learn something else too. If any of you have this app or want to get it and connect with me I would love that! Just search my name, Madeline Casey, and pick the one that has a 20 day streak :)



What are you learning lately?
 photo CASEY-SIG_zpsvtleemti.png

No comments:

Post a Comment