CaseyLand: Mommy Style Monday: Bedtime Routine

Monday, October 24, 2016

Mommy Style Monday: Bedtime Routine

Mommy Style Monday is a blog series my friend Kiana and I created, so that we could share our style with each other and moms like us! Style is an all encompassing word. It can mean a lot more than just what you're wearing, and everyone has their own unique style in every aspect of their lives.  Our hope is to share our "mommy style" with others, to inspire and have fun! I feel like as a mom (especially a stay at home mom like myself) it's really easy to get in a rut. I love seeing other people's take on motherhood, and I love it even more when I know it's something I can easily implement into my routine. It's totally possible to feel like a million bucks without spending a million bucks. Being a mom isn't always glamorous, but we can help each other out by sharing what we do to make it beautiful, with as little effort as possible ;). Every first and third Monday of the month we will have a Mommy Style Monday post sharing different inspiration for fashion, makeup routines, diaper bag organization, nursery decor, favorite baby books and toys, date night ideas, etc. We are all here to help each other out!

If you would like to be a part of the next Mommy Style Monday, fill out the form here. We would be thrilled to have you! If you know of a cute mama who has style to share, let her know about this link up!

You can probably ask any parent, and at some point or other, the idea of sleep and bedtime has been stressful. For me, Nathan is pretty much the most easy going baby in the whole world... until it comes to sleep! It seems like from the moment Nathan realized (in the hospital) that being held by his mom was the best, he decided that was where he preferred to be. Some of you might not know this, but I basically held Nathan 24/7 for the first three months of his life. It was rough in some ways, and blissful in others. I remember setting him down in his swing for a minute and running to the bathroom because I knew he would start crying if he realized I wasn't right next to him ha ha.

Yeah... that might sound like torture to some of you! But my style quickly became "listening to my baby". Was it frustrating that he constantly wanted to be held? Sometimes, yes. But he was just so tiny and helpless. I feel like if it were me, I would probably feel safer right next to my mom at all times as well. I don't know, I guess I was just a head over heels in love first time mom ha ha. I actually have seen a lot of benefits from holding him all the time in those months, but this post is not about that. If you have questions, leave a comment!

'look at him!!! How could you even put him down?!?!?!?!?!?
At around 4 or 5 months I decided to transition him to his crib. Before this, he would start out in his bassinet, but end up sleeping on top of me for the rest of the night, so I was nervous. I did kind of a modified sleep training to get him to stay in his crib all night, and it was really hard, but it worked. I still had to get up with him a few times a night to feed him, but it wasn't terrible! And the way we got it going in the beginning was: BEDTIME ROUTINE.

Babies thrive on structure. They control so little in their own lives, they love to know what is coming next. So the bedtime routine really helped Nathan feel more comfortable and feel safer in his own bedroom. He knew that if he cried I would still come for him, but he also knew he could sleep and be just fine, which was heavenly.

Everyone's bedtime routine is different. There isn't a one and only routine that works for everyone, in fact, I don't think it matters what the routine is. I think it just matters that you have one, so the baby knows what is coming next.


Here's mine:
7:30pm - Bath
7:40pm - Say "good night" to the house - close the blinds, turn off the lights, pick up toys
7:45pm - Naked time/play time/story time/lotion time
7:55pm - Nurse with the lights off and sound machine on
8:00pm - In bed for the night

I used to go in there every night when he cried and nurse him back to sleep, until this past week when I decided ENOUGH WAS ENOUGH. Because the kid was 13 months old, and should be giving me a full night of sleep. Last Monday night he cried for 2.5 hours, and ever since then he's been sleeping through the night every night. So there you go.

I think with the next baby I'll probably do a few things differently when it comes to sleep training and such (like, maybe trying it earlier so I'm not a walking zombie for a year?) but I love our bedtime routine! I hope it can stay the same when more babies join us, because I know we really enjoy it at our house!


Let's see what the other ladies do at their homes, shall we? Don't forget to sign up for next time!

Kiana at Glitter & Donuts
Madeline at CaseyLand

Sue at Sue's News
Juli at Journey of J^3
Beverly at What a Day
Erica at Good Job Momma
Monica at It's All About

 photo CASEY-SIG_zpsvtleemti.png

No comments:

Post a Comment