CaseyLand: Am I too old to learn new tricks?

Friday, June 10, 2016

Am I too old to learn new tricks?






Something I've realized now that I'm a stay at home mom is that I really don't have very many hobbies. And that's kind of embarrassing! When people ask me what I like to do, I don't know what to say.

The thing is, I think creating hobbies goes a long way back, and I just didn't do it for whatever reason. Most people create their hobbies as a kid or teenager. You have a whole bunch of time to get really good at whatever you want to do - on your parents' dime usually ;). Me? I loved to read as a kid. If I had free time, I was reading. I wasn't competitive enough to love any sports, I liked art but didn't do it in my spare time, I sewed a few things casually, I liked baking but didn't have a real interest in cooking... the list goes on. So now, here I am. An "adult", and I don't even know what to do with myself. Before, I was teaching all day and I felt like that was quite enough effort to put into my life, thank you very much. (I feel like anyone else who has been a teacher will understand what I mean by that ha ha.) So now that I'm a stay at home mom, I have this desire to be doing things, anything and everything, but I don't even know where to start.

Taking care of a baby is a full time job. He is everything to me, and I enjoy taking care of him more than I ever thought I could. However, I have a need to take time for myself. I have a thirst to continue learning new things, to become better and smarter and not get stuck in this rut of constant routine without much adult stimulation. Does that make sense?

I crave knowledge! I want to do something! Be something! Learn something! I want to be the BEST at something. I want to be an expert, a leader, an innovator.

But then there's this voice in my head that says, "it's too late."

Reminds me that I'm a mom, I live in a tiny house, we don't have much money because my husband is a PhD student. That voice asks me, "Why bother? Someone else is already better than you." Shows me those high school students running their own photography businesses, married couples younger than me traveling the world, buying big houses and fancy cars.

When Alex was wondering whether to continue his education or not, I found this quote by Jim Carrey, "So many of us choose our path out of fear disguised as practicality. What we really want seems impossibly out of reach and ridiculous to expect, so we never dare to ask the universe for it. I’m saying, I’m the proof that you can ask the universe for it." And ever since then, that's kind of been our mantra. We talk about things we want to do in our life, and any time one of us starts doubting or questioning, I always say,

"Don't Limit Yourself."

So to that mean voice in my head I say, Why Not? Why shouldn't I try new things? Why shouldn't I get out of my comfort zone? I am going to fail at new things. I will. But even better, I will SUCCEED. No one is stopping me except me. 

I may be 26, but I can guarantee, I have a lot of new tricks up my sleeve. 

Is there something you have always wanted to do? Are you limiting yourself? If you got out of your own way, what would you pursue? 

 photo CASEY-SIG_zpsvtleemti.png
SaveSaveSaveSave

No comments:

Post a Comment