CaseyLand: On Finding My Way Home

Thursday, September 10, 2015

On Finding My Way Home

So, Wednesday morning I wake up at 7:00 a.m. My alarm was set to 7:30, so this was only mildly disappointing. I mean, I already had to set an alarm, and that was bad enough! I've been living very luxuriously lately, and I don't feel guilty about it one bit. You know why? You better know why. If you don't know why, I'm only going to say it once: BABY.

Ok, so I wake up, lay in bed for a while, and then decide to get ready for the day. I put on lipstick. This is the second day in a row I have done this. Because I see people wearing lipstick and I LOVE it and I think I should buy that color for myself!! And then I buy it and don't wear it. So I told myself, "self, if you want to get cute lipsticks then you need to actually wear them. Why don't we start today!?" And by today, I mean the day before Wednesday. Aka Tuesday. Because as I said, this was the second day I did this. Oh boy, we're getting off track.

Anyway, so, wearing lipstick, I leave my little house and get in the Jeep. I drove to my doctors appointment on Mezzanine Drive. Mezzanine! It's a funny word. I almost missed the turn, but I didn't, and I was quite proud of myself. Driving in Indiana is a funny thing because it's not like driving in Utah at all. It takes FOREVER to get anywhere! I have figured out why this is. In Utah, we drive on I-15. Ohhhh how I miss the I-15. Going to the next town over? Hop on the I-15! And everything you need is right close to any freeway exits and entrances. There's hardly any driving in the actual cities. The freeway is all you need. In Indiana, you drive through the city. There is no freeway connecting everything. And the city is a lot bigger than the cities in Utah! So it takes a long time. While my doctors appointment would probably take 5 minutes to get to in Utah, it takes 15-20 to get to in Indiana. I'm sorry, I keep going off on tangents today! The point is, I went to the doctor and everything is looking fine with the baby and seems like we're headed slowly but surely in the right direction.

After the doctor, I headed over to the BMV. In Utah, we call this the DMV. Here, it is the BMV. Don't worry though, a trip there is just as annoying. On Tuesday night, Alex and I got together all the documents I would need to make the trip to the BMV as quick and painless as possible. (This is where you start nodding your head sympathetically, patting my shoulder and saying "It's never that easy!") Turns out, regardless of if my SS card and Drivers License and every other document except my birth certificate says my married name, I also need to bring a marriage license to prove that my name was legally changed. Like, no matter that I obviously had to change it legally in order to have any of those other documents... it's fine. So I head home, grab what I think it the right certificate, and head back. Nope. That's the certificate from the church. I need the one from the court! So I head home again, grab the one from the court, and head back. That's the ticket! I also had to pass the written driving test again, which I did with no issue, and now I'm the proud owner of a temporary Indiana Drivers License. This blog post is getting longer than I intended.

All this to say! After that ordeal I decided I definitely deserved a donut. (Alliteration anyone? Oops I did it again.) So I drove over to Mary Lou's. It's on the other side of town, which as I said before, in Utah may have taken me 5 minutes. In Indiana it takes about 15. There are many stop signs and traffic lights. Mary Lou's has the best donuts here, we have discovered. It's also kind of a local hang out for the older folks in town, so when you walk in for your first time they KNOW you are a noob, and they give you the stink eye for it. It's kind of dark and shady in there, and the cashiers were super grumpy, but the donuts are worth it! After snagging four donuts for $2, I headed out the door and back to the Jeep where I started to type my home address into Siri. But then I paused. Did I need Siri? Could I make it home on my own? I've lived here for what? Three weeks? Sure, there's no I-15...

I put my phone down and drove myself home with not one problem whatsoever.

So, the point of this whole ridiculously long story was to tell you, I can get myself home now without the help of my iPhone. And I'm feeling pretty good about it.




 photo CASEY-SIG_zpsvtleemti.png

5 comments:

  1. It's so true! I lived in Indiana for a while and couldn't believe how much longer it took to get around! Three cheers for I 15!!! But it is beautiful there. Enjoy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you know what I'm talking about! I'm trying to enjoy every moment!

      Delete
  2. It's so true! I lived in Indiana for a while and couldn't believe how much longer it took to get around! Three cheers for I 15!!! But it is beautiful there. Enjoy :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha! I distinctly remember when I had that moment while living in Maryland. I found my way home from Target and I was like YESSS!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's life changing! So empowering. Ha ha. I can do hard things!

      Delete