It may or may not surprise you to find out that Alex is actually three months younger than me. Or that he married the girl who tattled on him and got him kicked out of honors english for life. Or that he broke my heart to pieces and I gave him a second chance anyway. (see: love story.)
I don't know, maybe it's not surprising to you, but it sure surprised me! You really never can tell what turns your life is going to take next. I may not have seen Alex coming back into my life and sweeping me off my feet, but as soon as it happened - as soon as that first phone call asking me out - I knew it was right.
When you know, you know, you know?
I decided to link up with Bon and Taylor today, because I love writing about love, and I especially love writing about MY love, which I hope is not extraordinarily annoying to you all. So here is a list of the reasons why Alex and I work. (I am resisting the urge to title this 10 Ways I knew My Spouse and I Would Work.)
1. Mutual Respect: Alex is a mechanical engineer and I am a school teacher. He's A LOT academically smarter than me. I have my own ways of being smarter than him as well. (not academically ha ha). The thing is, we don't rub it in each other's faces. We accept each other's strengths and weaknesses, and we work with what we've got. I never feel belittled by Alex. I feel like he has a deep respect for me and I have the same for him. We really appreciate each other.
2. Light Hearted: Alex and I play together. We're not afraid to push each other around a little and just play like kids. I think this does a lot for our relationship. We spend a lot of time laughing and joking around with each other. Alex has the goofiest sense of humor, where I'm more dry and sarcastic. At first I thought he was a total weirdo, but now I'm picking up on his lame jokes, and he's more proud of me every day. It's a win-win! You may recall that Alex also makes me laugh until I cry, which is a relatively new thing for me.
3. Teamwork: We're a team. We do things together. It's always been that way, and it always will be that way. Right now our teamwork consists of cooking together, cleaning together, shopping together, doing laundry together... it's better when we're together as far as we're concerned. Not necessarily for the companionship solely, but more because it's just faster and more enjoyable if you have someone with you. He washes, I fold. That kind of thing. He cooks, I do dishes. Get it? We work together and we don't have "assigned" jobs. Like, Alex doesn't think that it's my duty to do the laundry. It's OUR duty. I think that's kind of cool.
4. He is tall and has curly hair: My whole life I told myself that I would probably marry a tall man with dark curly hair. I would also probably get married after I graduated college. (I got married the day of my graduation... so how's that for self-fulfilling prophecy?)
5. Independent: We're both independent of each other. Yes, we're a team and work together constantly. But we also do our own things, and we don't feel bad about it. I have my stuff, he has his. This is good for us. We don't have to like all the same things. We have our own identities. Two halves do not make a whole in a good marriage. Two wholes make an even greater whole in a good marriage. Alex and I are both whole people without each other. When we're together, we're an even greater whole.
6. Good kissers: duh.
7. Uplift and balance: Our conversations uplift each other. He makes me want to be a better person, and he feels the same way about me. We balance each other out, and lift each other higher. He's good at selflessly serving, and because of that, I've become better at serving other people.
anyway, that's all I feel like writing right now. But there you have it. Reasons why Alex and I work!
p.s. you should join the link up too! Tell me though, why do you and your significant other work? Or if you don't have a significant other, tell me about the person you think you'll marry and when you think you'll marry them. Because I know that your wish will come true. It happened to me! ;)